Settled by the English in 1658, the Town of North East was incorporated in 1850. The southern part of town covers a site once occupied by Shawnee Indians. North East was the first permanent settlement in Cecil County. The cemetery at Saint Mary Anne’s Episcopal Church located on Main Street is one of the oldest in the State of Maryland with graves of Susquehannock Indians dating to the 1600s. Located a short distance outside of town is the Elk Neck State Park, Turkey Point Light House, and Elk Neck State Forest, which all offer hiking and recreational activities for visitors.